Red Ginger Spices!
Ayib is a fresh Ethiopian cheese that is actually pretty perfect to balance out a spicy meal. Sometimes, people use sour cream or plain yogurt to balance out the spices.
However, the perfect pairing is really make Ayib.
I have had it served with Kitfo, or collard greens, but it is also just good on the side of any berbere based meal.
So, with Covid, I have been cooking a lot more at home and trying new things.
I have started to follow Adane on Youtube.
She is pretty amazing.
Her is her link to her Ayib recipe- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3KDTuHEr0
Her website is: howtocookgreatethiopian.com
However, I just tried to access it and had problems. Not sure what is going on with that.
In any case, her recipe was pretty easy, and it came out really good.
I like this recipe because it was simple and did not require any special equipment.
I did not need to use Vinegar, not did I need a cheesecloth or anything special. I just used a strainer/colandar.
Here are a few of my pictures:
- started with 1 quart of Cultured Buttermilk
- simmered on low
- after about 40 minutes, you can see the water separated
- I let it cool on top of another pot that contained cold water. I only did this, like her, to speed up the cooling
- here is the final product, draining in my colandar, and ready to eat
- the quantity was small enough to finish in 1 setting with my family.
Good Luck. Share you pictures as well.